If you believe that "Double Ds are HUGE!", please read on. DD is an extremely common bra cup size. ...well, it's commonly needed, but unfortunately, it's not commonly sold. This is because bra companies lie. Companies like Victoria's Secret make a very limited size range, and then use horribly inaccurate sizing methods to squeeze women into bras that don't fit. About 80% of women wear the incorrect bra size, and most probably don't know it. They are taught that bras are 'meant to be uncomfortable'; that 'band sizes below a 32 are for someone incredibly skinny'; that 'double Ds are ginormous!' These are all lies. Women needing band sizes below a 32 are incredibly common, as are double Ds and above. Bras that fit should also be comfortable. Don't believe me? I was sized at a 32D. I wore the bra for a day or two, then went braless until I could replace it, because it hurt my back and shoulders and rendered me almost unable to sit up straight. I had been told that this was my size. I had been told that this was normal. But I did some research, and it turns out I was lied to. I found that I was a 28G (I've now changed sizes slightly), and once I found and bought and wore bras in that size, I was finally happy with my bras. The pain was gone. If you are in the wrong size, you may have gotten used to the pain and therefore no longer notice it, but trust me: you will notice when it leaves. Please- wear a bra that fits. :)

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Panache And The 26-Inch Dilemma

     I am a huge fan of Panache.  They made the first bathing suits that have fit me properly since my chest grew!  (I'll be reviewing them soon- haven't tried them in the water yet!)  They make bras in a 28G!  They are honest about sizing!  Well... most of the time.

     Panache has been thinking about adding 26-inch bands for a while now.  They've been asking women on the Panache Lingerie Facebook page whether they need a band size smaller than 28.  And in a 2011 interview with Butterfly Collection, they said, "The next collection we are designing is Spring 2013 and this will be the first trial of 26 bands in select styles in Cleo and maybe Superbra. We know that there is a huge need for 26 bands and we want to get the support absolutely right."

     Isn't it summer of 2013 now?  What happened, Panache?  Companies sometimes get backed up, though, so I'll give Panache a second chance on that one.  That's not why I'm upset with Panache right now.

     A few days ago, I posted on the Panache Lingerie Facebook page that I, too, would love a 26-inch band.  Panache nicely responded the next morning that they appreciate my feedback and will alert the design team, and that they have a higher chance of making them in the future as more women request them.  The response didn't make me jump for joy, of course, as it doesn't provide a huge amount of hope for 26 bands, but I'm glad that they took the time to respond and listen to me.  This, also, is not why I'm upset with Panache.

     The reason I am upset is because of Panache's response to an email I sent them (before I had gotten a response on Facebook):

"I love Panache so much because of your wide range of bra size options and your honest and helpful sizing advice. I've been wearing a 28G for a while now, and have always been rather small for a 28, feeling loose on the tightest hooks. My rib-cage area has gotten even smaller and I really need a 26; my current bra's band rides up extremely high, I have shoulder pain, and it is difficult to sit up straight. I heard that you were planning on adding 26-inch bands in spring of 2013; is this going to happen anytime soon? Has it already happened and I've missed it? (if so, that's embarrassing... thanks and sorry!) Please let me know if 26 bands are coming or have already arrived! Thank you so much for your time and for making amazing bras!" (My name was signed, but I've removed it for privacy reasons :) )

     I received the following response (I blanked my name out):

"Hi ______,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

We still haven’t done or have immediate plans on doing 26 bands.  The smallest we do is a 28 in select styles.  My only recommendation for you is possibly trying a smaller cup.  Our smallest begins at a D.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Thanks,
Courtney WalkerCustomer Service Administrator"
     My first thought was something like, "WHAT THE HECK?!"  I just couldn't believe that my beloved Panache, my bra savior company, would say something like this.
     Firstly, Courtney (the customer service administrator who had responded) didn't even mention passing on my suggestion to anyone.  She just said that they don't have plans to make 26 bands, plain and simple.  Screw me, right?
     Then, she suggests trying a smaller cup.  This is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.  Wearing a too-small cup with a too-large band is exactly how Victoria's Secret and other screwy, inch-adding companies size women incorrectly and cause pain.
     I really had trouble believing that Panache would say this.  It's just ridiculously wrong.  I didn't respond until today, two days after I had received that horrible email.  My response was:
"I don't understand why you're suggesting a smaller cup size.  As the support of a bra comes from the band and my cup size fits well, getting a smaller cup would only cause more discomfort."
     Courtney responded two minutes later:

"Because you said your bra was loose on the tightest hook.  There for you would need to decrease the cup size since the band is as small as it can be.
 
Thanks
Courtney"

      Umm, no.  This is, again, very wrong.  I replied four minutes later:

"Decreasing the cup size would not make the band any less loose.  The band would still ride up and cause discomfort.  The smaller cup size would not fit my chest.  The band is not as small as it can be; I can have it altered or custom order a 26 band from Ewa Michalak, which is a much better option than wearing a sister size that doesn't fit right."

     That was at 3:15 PM.  It is now 5:09.  Of course, it hasn't been very long, so I shouldn't expect a reply so soon; I will keep you all posted when/if Courtney responds.

     I'm really, really upset about this.  I would never have expected such horridly wrong advice from a Panache representative.  I don't know what I should do about this; it really saddens, worries, and upsets me to see such a lack of bra knowledge from a representative for one of the leaders in proper bra fit for women.

What do you guys think?  Am I overreacting?  Should I try emailing Panache again?  Am I wrong?  Should I alert the company through Facebook about this incorrect sizing advice?  Should I let it slide?  Please comment what you think!

9 comments:

  1. That a**hat doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm sure that most of the representatives of bra companies with a wide size range are trained to know how their products actually work and how they are sized, but maybe some slip through? I hope it was just a fluke...but it might be that panache doesn't sell their product directly to the customer, but instead through a middle man (like
    Bravissimo), so they don't typically have to answer questions about sizing. Just a theory. I really don't know much about Panache.
    In the mean time, you can try getting your bras altered (or sew them up yourself next to the hooks&eyes -- I've done that in the past), or maybe sew some elastic into the band to make it tighter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my first commenter so thanks so much for commenting!!! :DD I like your theory about selling through a middle man and therefore not knowing much about sizing; I don't see how else her suggestion could make sense. :p Thanks for the suggestions for tightening! I took a bra to Nordstrom to get altered a few days ago, and I also got some Rixie Clips, which I love!

      Delete
    2. Also, if you don't mind, would you please tell me how you wound up at this page? I got a crazy amount of traffic to this post today and I really don't know why. My stats say there are a lot of views from Facebook, but I don't know where this was linked.

      Delete
    3. Fuller Figure Fuller Bust shared your page. So sorry this happened! :( Hopefully she takes time and learns about correct sizing!

      Delete
  2. Goodness,that is weird!Maybe she was new to the job and didn't know much yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite weird! I'm hoping she's new, but apparently she's an administrator, which I think suggests that she's been there a while. :/ Hopefully most of the other representatives know better!

      Delete
  3. There is this thing called rixieclip I'm thinking of trying, might interest you as well? It is for tightening bra bands. It doesn't help with the buttfaced panache rep, but might help with the too loose band?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "buttfaced panache rep" < I lol'd. xD Rixie Clips are great! I made a post about them here: http://iamexistent.blogspot.com/2013/06/rixie-clips-d.html .

      Delete
  4. I was very excited when I heard they would try out the 26 bands this summer. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, I guess.
    About this time last year I was getting so uncomfortable with my 32DDs from Victoria's Secret that I finally figured all this out and redid my bra collection with 28FFs from Freya and Panache. It was the best feeling in the world to have bras that mostly fit! But after a few months of wearing them, I'm very aware that they're not my exact size. If I could only get a 26G I'd be happy! But I guess that will be at least a few more years.

    ReplyDelete